Drip Irrigation Guide-Water Distribution

Drip Irrigation Guide-Water Distribution

General Overview

   Content Covered In This Section:

   Advantages & Benefits of Drip Irrigation

   Soil Types

   Water Source Connection Items, Aka Head Assembly

   Water Distribution

   Water Devices



Water Distribution

Drip Tubing: aka Poly Tubing, Poly Pipe, Supply Line: Common term for Polyethylene pipe. Flexible, black tubing used for both drip irrigation main and lateral lines. Emitters can be inserted into tubing or connected via micro tubing. Common sizes are 1/2" (aka 5/8") or 3/4" tubing.

- 1/2" Drip Tubing

- 3/4" Drip Tubing 

Micro Tubing: aka Feeder Tubing: 1/4" micro tubing can be used as the main line for small deck/flower-pot installations but is more often used as a lateral supply line off of 1/2" main line tubing. The micro tubing carries water to emitters (drippers) and micro sprays. Also referred to as “Distribution Tubing” it is available in Polyethylene (PE) or the more flexible Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC).

- 1/4" Drip Tubing 

- 1/8" Vinyl Drip Tubing 

Compression Fittings: Fittings used to connect lengths of 1/2" and 3/4" solid drip tubing. The drip tubing is inserted into the compression fitting. The fittings internal compression ring squeezes the tubing slightly making a secure water-tight seal. Compression fittings are more of a permanent connection and are not recommended for reuse. Glue or lubricants are not required.

Direct-Loc Fittings: aka Spin Loc, Perma Loc, Easy Loc, Power Loc: Twist barbed fittings onto 1/2" drip poly tubing, twist lock nut to lock tubing in place and make a water-tight seal. Removable fittings make it easy to reconfigure your drip system if your needs or landscape designs change. Best fittings for winterizing your drip system – unscrew fittings, remove and store tubing away for winter. No glue or Teflon tape required.
¼" Barbed Connectors: aka Micro Connectors: Used to make connections between 1/4" micro tubing or to connect 1/4" micro tubing and 1/4" soaker hose dripline to 1/2" or 3/4" drip poly tubing. Use with a hole punch to attach to 1/2" or 3/4" solid tubing. No glue or lubricants are required.
Stakes: aka Clips, Hold Downs. Plastic or metal stakes used to hold drip tubing in place. Also available in 1/4" or 1/2" mounting clips to attach drip tubing to wood decks, eves, overhangs and fences.

<<Previous Page                                                                                                                                                                                            Next Page>>